King, B., Fallon, B., Filippelli, J., Black, T., & O’Connor, C. (2018). Troubled teens and challenged caregivers: Characteristics associated with the decision to provide child welfare services to adolescents in Ontario, Canada. Children and Youth Services Review, 87, 205–215.
Research suggests that adolescents who endured maltreatment often exhibit high levels of adjustment problems in late adolescence and early adulthood.
- Data using the 2013 Ontario Incidence Study of Reported Child Abuse and Neglect
Discussion and Findings
- Application of full weights in analysis may overstate the significance of these estimates
- Nature of dataset may be limited
- Information not independently verified
- Child functioning issues, caregiver functioning problems, and other key risk factors may have been unknown to the investigating social worker
- No measurements of severity of issues
- Cases not reported to or screened out by child welfare agencies were not included